Friday, May 28, 2010

On the Road Again - California Backroad Adventure.

My husband and I made plans to meet family at the beach in Central California.   We had the option to make it a day trip but we decided a few days would be relaxing and more fun.  When we ventured out from our Central Valley Town, we decided to head west on Highway 58 and take a back road to the Central Coast of California.


We both grew up in a small town not far from this area which is an oil-producing region. 
While leisurely meandering over the rolling roads there is much to discover.





   As we continued on our adventure the countryside became covered with wildflowers
which gave a burst of color to the grassy hillsides.



These old barns and structures make me think of the Wild Wild West.  I can just imagine the stories they could tell.   I think I have read too many western romance books.


A
It fascinates me how these windmills generate water for the ranch that is out in the middle of nowhere.  There is something relaxing about watching the wind blow the blades around and around and around. 


B
After about the third time I asked to stop the car so I could take a picture,
my husband started to get his camera out and take pictures too.
He said "I can get a better picture than you"  That is all it took for the challenge to begin.
So let me know which one of the above windmill pictures you like best A or B.


Neither one of us knew our picture was being taken.


The rows of rustic mailboxes gives a sense of rural country.

Your imagination can only imagine what lies beyond.

We could only use our imaginations here because we had to
"Keep Out".
There is something about rusty metal signs that still capture my imagination for decorating.

Following are a few pictures we took along the way.

The weathered wood and metal gate accented with the unexpected palm trees was captivating.


Even the weeds and wildflowers were of interest.


Another windmill with the old wood fence and metal gate.


The barbed wire fence and weathered poles surrounding the fallen log has a western country feel.


An old gnarled tree and then a lone tree out in the meadow made the view captivating.

An unexpected friend we met along the way.




We knew we must be getting close to the Pacific Ocean when we came to this field of Hawaiian shirts.
You never know what you might find when you are on an adventure.


We knew the ocean would come in view before too long.


We had arrived at the Pacific Ocean.
Even though our California Backroad Adventure had ended our journey had just begun.


Watch for the next post on how this adventure inspired my decorating.

I would love to hear your comments on which picture would inspire you to decorate.
Also, don't forget to let me know which picture, A or B, is your favorite.

I included this post for the Barn Chicks Meeting in September 2010 at Brayton Homestead Interiors.

Also, you might like to check out Rock-a-billy Girl has some Bling she counts as a Barn Chick.

I just found this party and it looked fun.  I hope to be better prepared for next time.

Thanks to all for stopping by.


12 comments:

  1. dear gail,
    i enjoyed your adventure post!! i like B, because it shows the windmill taking its place in the landscape. A emphasizes the windmill itself as art and i don't think it comes across as attractive as it may have been in real life. although i am a nut for closeup shots and probably would have taken A!!!
    my gentleman friend and i love to try to outdo each others pictures!! this year we are attempting to grow the better plum tomato!!!
    any opportunity to say 'mine's the best' is a good thing!!
    all the best,
    donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. All those photos are great and are extremely familiar to me. What a great trip. The weather this weekend on the Central Coast is surprisingly warm and sunny. Hope you have a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun back country road. I've heard it's a little curvy, too. Really picturesque shots. I felt like I was riding right along with you. I vote for picture "B". I like seeing the old road in the foreground and the way the windmill is centered between the two distant trees. It really gives a complete shot of the entire surrounding scene. Since I'm a beach girl, that last shot of the ocean gets me going -- Love it. It was fun answering your questions. Let us know which picture got the most votes. A really cute idea. Creativity is your middle name! But we're not surprised!
    Hugs,
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos of a fun trip. I vote for B too. Love the curving road and landscape in the shot and I know I would have gone for the close up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. B is my choice....love the close up too, but B let's you see the whole picture.

    Your drive looked like is was beautiful. The picture that would inspire me is the one of the barn.
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun picutures! I vote for "A" because it focuses in on the subject but the other one is nice too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. SOOOO excited to have found your blog!!!! It's so much fun! I love all your photos. You and the hubs are so adorable together. Though A and B are both lovely, I think I prefer B because it gives more perspective.

    And I'm cracking up about your comment about reading too many western romance books:)

    I hope you don't find if I add you to my link list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The hawaiian shirts made me laugh out loud~
    If I had to choose between A/B....I choose A. I like how the wind mill is the focal point of the picture~

    have a beautiful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all your pics-especially the windmill!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful post! I love all the bucolic scenes you have captured so perfectly... thanks so much for sharing... I too love those old, rusty metal signs!... xoxo Julie Marie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like windmill B as it includes the road. But both are good really. That keep out sign is rusty and yummy. hugs♥olive

    ReplyDelete
  12. love your pics- wow- the winding road pic belongs in a poetry book! and love the windmill. So glad you are now a Barn Chick. Thanks for joining ....
    Karen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave a comment about your visit. It is always nice to hear from you. Have a wonderful day.