Thursday, June 3, 2010

Dressmaker Form

Welcome to Vintage Black Friday it happens the first Friday of every month.
I would love to introduce this lovely lady, she has many talents. 

I was introduced to this lady of many talents at a flea market about ten years ago. At the time I met her, she was already decked out in this lovely black fabric and because she didn't have a stand, I don't have information of her origin.


At the present she is holding a vintage black velvet belt with a rhinestone buckle and several newer multi-colored rhinestone belts.  The one rhinestone belt with the two dropped balls is a vintage piece.  It has a double string of rhinestones and the hook has a rhinestone to make it a great detailed piece. 
A vintage umbrella with a rhinestone handle is pinned on her side.

These unique vintage display pieces are great for holding necklaces and brooches.  The hat sitting on top is a black straw pill-box hat with an incredible vintage cream-colored velvet rose accent.


Sitting next to this dress form in my guest bath are two vintage black velvet hats.  One is accented with rhinestones and the other with feathers.  The display case they are sitting on is a vintage store display case for jewelry.  It now holds some of my rhinestone pieces new and old.


In her earlier life, this dress form sat on top of my armoire.  In this vignette, black Victorian boots sit on top of an antique black leather top hat case.  Also, a vintage black umbrella leans on the wall.  The hexagon script hat box is tied with vintage black lace. There is a vintage black shawl draped over the edge of the armoire. Again, the little vintage black hat is included.

Dressmaker forms have been around since the time of the Egyptian pharaohs.  It is documented that when Carter opened King Tutankhamen's tomb in 1922, he discovered a wooden torso not far from a clothing chest.  Dating from 1350 B.C. it may have been the world's first dressmaker's form. (From Smithsonian Magazine)  There is more history about dressmaker forms if you click on Shapely Shadow a Southern California company's website.

Dressmaker's forms whether old or new are a great accent piece to use while decorating
as well as for their intended use... to make a dress.

If you would like to read more of my Vintage Black Friday posts click on Vintage Black Friday under my Labels.
If you would like to read other Vintage Black Friday posts, click on my VBF button on my sidebar or join Vintage Black Friday.



12 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous vignette on the armoire~~I love it!! Love your dressform too! Thanks for sharing! Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is beautiful!! I love her belt ~ vintage rhinestone buckles are on my treasure hunting list! Thank you so much for stopping by, have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dressmaker forms are indeed wonderful!! I have one in my sewing room and a really rough one in my garage that I'm not sure yet how I'm going to "rehab" it. I've never seen one sleek and black like yours. It's quite nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo, love the hats and those shiny black boots on top of the armoire are gorgeous. Happy VBF~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello
    Love your dressform, I have a thing for them also.
    Thanks for stopping by, I hope you have a lovely weekend
    Blessings
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh what great stuff you have. I LOVE the dressmaker form. I have been on the hunt for one for such a long time. Yours is just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! What a great dress form and I love how she's all decked out.

    Enjoy your weekend.

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is one "smart" looking dressform. Love the photos, great work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Gail,

    I adore this vintage lady and the way you have her dressed. Also love the way you displayed the hats in your guest bath. You have a real talent for the art of display! Hope your weekend is wonderful.

    ~jermaine~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love your black dress form and the vintage hats and boots too! I so need a beautiful hat for my dress form who is sporting a vintage black silk top hat at the moment, I should photograph her for next month's Vintage black friday. For this week I chose some other Vintage blacks.

    Sending you warmest wishes from Germany
    Carola

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beverly @ My Sew Sweet StudioJune 5, 2010 at 12:49 PM

    Gail, even though I have seen some of these things in your home, when they are featured on one of your posts, I see so much more detail. I really love your rhinestones and your dress form is dressed to "kill". Everything is perfectly displayeda as only you know how to do.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the dress form ... I can't get enough of the real old ones with the metal cages! If you ever want to put it on a stand {pole} try an old wrought iron lamp base pole ... you can detach the top portion and use the pole as a base.... still keeping the vintage vibe!

    thanks for sharing and joining in on VBF!

    xo
    Jill

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave a comment about your visit. It is always nice to hear from you. Have a wonderful day.