Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Take Me Out to the Ballgame

Maybe because yesterday was my anniversary or maybe because my grandson, Davis, hit an out-of-the-park home run last weekend or maybe because Sunday is Father's Day.....I don't know but when I saw this baseball fabric, I knew I wanted to use it for a baseball tablescape.



This fabric was purchased at Beverly's Crafts and Fabrics.


1955
To play on this Baseball All-Star Team you had to turn 8 years old before August 1st and my husband's birthday is July 29th so he turned 8 and was eligible to play.  The ages ranged from 8 to 12 years old.  
He is the second boy on the right in the front row.
He said he cried and his Mom finally bought him some baseball shoes with cleats.
I told him that his arm didn't look like it was big enough to hold his mitt up.

Following are a few of my sluggers:
My son, Nathan.


My grandson, Davis.


My grandson, C J.

My Grandson, Eli.



The tablescape began with the cute baseball team picture.
I included some old softballs and baseballs in a cloche.
  The old mitt is one my husband actually used.  Included is a Slugger baseball bat used in Little League. 
 An old trophy that belong to my husband.
Decorating with a touch of the Past adds charm.


The place setting started with a Fiesta Chocolate Brown dinner plate 
layered with a Fiesta blue band luncheon plate.
Purchased on-line at Macy's.


The Fiesta chocolate brown dessert plate worked good for holding the Baby Ruth candy bar and  baseball candy.



Since my grandsons think it is awesome to receive a trophy, I later decided to put a toy trophy at each plate.  The trophy would be great to use as  favor cups.
The matching Friesta Chocolate silverware  I purchased at Macy's online.



The vintage blue thumbnail stemware was great for holding 
the baseball bubblegum bat and ball  gift for each guest.



Included on the table was the book "Baseball Tales".
  This type of book that goes with your theme can make some great conversation.



An added layer of a rattan placemat was considered and would have been an added texture 
but I wanted to show as much of the baseball fabric as possible.

Click on  Between Naps on the Porch or the Tablescape Thursday button on my side bar 
to see more wonderful tablescapes.


I am thankful to get to share these memories with my family
and my blog friends.

Have an Out-of-the-Park Day!


18 comments:

  1. What a darling tablescape! I love the way you've added both vintage and new items to carry out the theme. Your husband and son and grandsons will be delighted with this table, I'm sure! Clever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful! Can you help me find the one you did on golf? I want to do a golf theme this sunday and was going to look at yours, but now can't find it. - sandy J

    ReplyDelete
  3. I raised two boys and spent years on the bleachers at baseball games! Your table was a wonderful memory trigger. It came together so beautifully and with such great attention to detail! great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an adorable theme! So many details. Your table is so sweet :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun tablescape! I have my Dad's old mitt and it is so special to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awesome and very creative table you have put together! Sweet pics of your sluggers!

    Great fun stopping by to visit with you!
    Kindly, ldh

    ReplyDelete
  7. Soooo cool! Love the cloche with all the baseballs in it. And Baby Ruth's are one of my favorite candy bars...I always keep a stash in the fridge of the mini size. Great ideas..thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so cute. I will have to remember this for my grandson. He loves when I decorate the table!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, you know that would be a "hit" in the Parks household too. How do you come up with these things? I love it, everything from the tablecloth to the pictures to the memorabilia. You have a hit a home run in our "Parks", Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both this tablescape and your pink themed one is just adorable. What a great tribute to all the baseball players in the family.
    I bet they had a "Ball" with this table.
    Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cute table for all your sluggers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love, love, love it! Your ideas are so original, a great departure from the cliche baseball ideas we've all seen a million times.
    Using the candy on the plates, that is normally used for cupcakes, is absolutely brilliant! And the Baby Ruths are too cute! I could go on and on but just want to say thank you for the great inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this table and I know that my guys would love it too! Thanks for sharing and have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post! My dad would love this one!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great post, and what a wonderful tribute to the men in your life! The sepia photographs have a timeless feel, and so do the elements in your tablescape. Blue and brown is probably my favorite color combination.

    Hope you and yours have a wonderful weekend!
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful ideas for a beautiful table. Thanks for sharing and enjoy your weekend.
    ~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful post, Gail. So original and unique. You are a great tablescaper! (if that is even a word). What a wonderful group of baseball "stars" in your family. Your grandkids are so cute and growing up so fast. I know you are very proud of them. I loved seeing the old photographs -- they have such a charm. I remember Nathan so well at that age. What a sweet picture -- just like him. (why do they have to grow up!) I hope you had a wonderful Father's Day with all your "stars."
    Hugs,
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this set up so much......probably because it represents my (our...lol) life right now! i love that picture of dad's team....I need to get a copy of that one for our sports wall. Always fun to read your description of the table that I see in your house!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave a comment about your visit. It is always nice to hear from you. Have a wonderful day.