Monday, December 21, 2009

Christmas Home Tour Continued at Gail's

The next to the last stop on our Christmas Home Tour was at my house.  Many times when I have passed by homes with the Christmas tree lights reflecting on the window, I wish I could step inside and see what is in the room and in the hearts of those that live there.



The lights of this Christmas tree reflect from my guest room.  You don't have to peek in this window, you can step on in.


Besides the decorated tree, I love to dress up the dress form for the holidays.


This room has tall ceilings so there is plenty room for a vignette on top of this armoire.  There is a vintage violin that my husband restored.  I wish I could play it but for now it is on display.


The guest bath reflects a Woman's Christmas.  This book states "Returning to the gentle joys of the Season".  I love looking through this charming book each year.


This bath caddy I placed on the tub reflects a calming escape as the season grows hectic.



This angel has her suitcase packed for Rome.  She may be traveling for the holidays.



Dimmed lights show off  the half tree in the Master Suite decorated in red and leopard ornaments in all different shapes and sizes.




The carved antique armoire that is draped with a leopard and red garland has beaded red reindeers that glow.  I love stepping into every room of my house and remembering it is Christmastime.



I served 2 by 4 soup in the Dixie Dogwood bowls that I collect.  I used an oval Fiesta platter in the lemongrass color which goes so perfect with the dogwood flower color. 

The 2 by 4 soup was brought to our family during the time when my mother-in-law passed away last April.  I always think of it as comfort food.  I cooked it in my crockpot so it was ready whatever time we returned from our tour.  I always think of her when making this recipe and remember the greatest gift she gave to me when I married her son.

The soup is called 2 X 4 because you use 4 ingredients with 2 parts each.

2 lbs    Seasoned Browned Hamburger Meat
2    10 oz cans of Rotel (diced tomatoes and green chilies)
2    15 oz cans Minestrone Soup
2   15 oz cans Pinto Beans

Season and brown meat and  start opening cans and pour into crockpot.  Let it heat and it is ready to eat when you are.  There are many variations I have put different types of beans and my crockpot can hold 3 cans of each ingredient.  I served with cornbread muffins, toasted sourdough artisan bread and used sour cream, and shredded cheese for the topping.  It is easy and yummy for a cold winter's supper.

Merry Christmas

6 comments:

  1. Gail, you really captured the whole tour in your pictures. What fun we had. Thank you for taking such good pictures. Mine did not turn out as well. This was a lot of work and I really appreciate the time it took. Thank you for your sweet discriptions of mine and the other's displays. Your house was beautiful and you did not fully cover the beauty of all your decorations. It has such a warm welcoming feel.
    Your soup was so good that I am fixing it for my niece who will be here tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gail, the carved antique armoire is beautiful! the tree is gorgeous as well!!!

    Thanks again for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just stopping by from Beverly's blog. Really enjoyed all the homes on the tour. What a talented group of women! Merry Christmas to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gail:
    I enjoyed so much re-living our home tour through your pictures. You did an exceptional job displaying your pictures and writing such wonderful script to describe it. It was really a lot of fun to see again, and I was sorry when it was over!! I think I have rewatched your tour pictures about three times! (I was waiting for the picture I took of you on your beautiful bed!).
    Continue to enjoy your beautiful home as we anticipate that special day.
    Merry Christmas.
    Hugs,
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gail, this is so lovely! I enjoyed all of your beautiful vignettes.

    Wanted to stop by at the stroke of midnight and am wishing you the very Merriest Christmas to date!

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been so busy that I am just now getting around to see all of my friend's Christmas decorations and your home looks wonderful. I adore the decked out dress form by the tree and the vignette your created atop your amoire is stunning. Thanks for the tour. I hope your Christmas was wonderful and if I were you I would leave all of these wonderful decorations up a bit longer to enjoy! ~jermaine~

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave a comment about your visit. It is always nice to hear from you. Have a wonderful day.