Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Tablescape Thursday French/Italian Inspired

My grandson, CJ, turned 10 years old today.  So I wanted to prepare a meal just for him.  The first food item that comes to my mind is.......garlic.  I know that sounds crazy but he wants it on bread, corn, spaghetti, and even waffles among other things.  I guess it could be worse but my daughter has often thought "What must his teachers think when he goes every day to school smelling like garlic".  She is a teacher so I guess that is natural to think about.  Well, the food had to be Italian....spaghetti, green salad, jello, corn, and of course garlic sourdough french bread.

 
The tablescape started with his favorite food.....bread.  He would always say "Grammy, please make me salt toast".  In the picture above, the bread is fake because his bread has to be sliced and toasted in the oven with ...what else?...garlic. The cutting board is from Pottery Barn and I use it for decoration and for actual use. 


The dome covered cheese plate is the vintage one I purchased at Vintage la Rue that I posted about last month.  This cheese is also fake but looks like Swiss cheese so I included a cheese knife I purchased from Pottery Barn.  It came in a set of four knives with different cheeses inscribed on the handle.  I couldn't get a good picture of the inscription  but you can see it at http://www.potterybarn.com.

 The yellow bamboo placemats were purchased at Ross Dress for Less.  I chose the stoneware because it has a French window scene in different colors and the chargers or dinner plates are in yellow, green, pink, and blue.  The mugs are large enough to serve for cold drinks as well as hot.  I love using the set because it is so versatile.  I recently purchased the French black chateau flatware online at http://frenchgardenhouse.com     I just checked and they still have it for sale under Provence Kitchen.

 
 I hope to post his birthday cake on Foodie Friday.

Happy 10th Birthday CJ, Grammy loves you lots!

15 comments:

  1. Hello Gail, just admiring your cute tablescape. Your grandson is a poppet...so cute. Maybe he'll turn out to be top chef some day...one never knows :o)

    Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's pretty perfect table setting=)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lucky birthday boy! My son just turned 10 and he requested pasta and garlic bread for his birthday dinner! I hope CJ had a wonderful birthday.

    Best wishes,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the fake foods and have some myself ~ your table looks great of course, but the nicest looking thing on your post today is CJ!! Into double digits CJ ! Happy Birthday :)
    Judi

    ReplyDelete
  5. A big Happy Birthday to CJ! Lovely dishes...like that shade of blue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This a great, earthy table. Makes me want to sit down and enjoy the meal with you all. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the wonderful dishes and I also love the pretty dome with the cloche, I love to use faux food for photos also, it is lotm of fun...I am a new follower of yours, come on over and visit...Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet way to celebrate. This also sounds liek somehting my son woudl LOVE! I really enjoyed the way you used the bread for decor...I did that at a wedding once and it was a big hit. I really like your dishes and especially the flatware. I just recenlty started joining in on Tablescape Thursday...so I need to increase my collection of flatware.
    Holly
    www.504main.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great tablescape, Gail. I love the french plates and black silverware. I bet CJ felt very special! What a wonderful dinner for a great kid! Happy Birthday, CJ! I'm looking forward for dessert on Friday!
    Hugs,
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  10. CJ is lucky to have such a loving Grammy! My Mom did not live long enough to spend time with my children. They missed out on this important relationship. Joan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday CJ. What a wonderful tablescape. Love the plates with the window scenes. The chargers are beautiful too. Everything on the table is really special. Gonna go check on the flatware. That cheese looks so real.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, I just commented and it disappeared, so will try again.
    Happy Birthday to CJ.
    Love your tablescape. As usual you have a special touch when it comes to setting a table. The plates with the window scenes are great. Never seen anything like those. The cargers are beautiful too. Gotta go check out that flatware.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love everything about your G-son's birthday table. I'm a lover of garlic myself and could almost eat it on cake..!! My fettuccine alfredo is very heavy with garlic.
    Best wishes for CJ and many, many more Happy Birthday's (he's a cutie pie).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Super cute dishes, love the shape. I like the flatware to. Your table is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Gail, I can see CJ had the best birthday, he is quite the handsome young man. I remember when my son got a taste for garlic lol. Your table is so pretty, your french window plates are adorable and perfect with the flatware, thank you for the link. happy weekend, Kathy.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave a comment about your visit. It is always nice to hear from you. Have a wonderful day.