Monday, January 4, 2010

Road Trip in the Central Valley of California

My grandson had a basketball tournament in a small town in the central valley of California, Lindsay.   We had a break between basketball games so my husband suggested we take a 10 mile drive to Exeter, California.   My first stop was an antique shop I have visited for many years called By The Water Tower.




 For obvious reasons you can't miss the shop since it is by the Exeter water tower.



This shop has several dealers and specializes in antiques and old stuff as well as new items.  You never know what kind of treasures await you as you step through the door.  Take a look.

 























In 1888, as the railroad carved its way through the southern San Joaquin valley, towns grew up along its route.  D.W. Parkhurst, representing the Southern Pacific Railroad, bought  land from John Firebaugh, an early settler and the town of Exeter was born, named after Parkhurst's native town, Exeter, England.  As we traveled through the town we could see outdoor art murals reflecting Exeter's history and culture.









Exeter boasts that it is the "Citrus Capital of the World" so as we went back to the basketball tournament, we had to stop at one of the fruit and vegetable stands to purchase locally grown  produce.  I remember stopping at this same stand when I was a young girl going on our family vacation camping in
Sequoia National Park.









Some of my purchases.  I'm  looking forward to those avocados ripening. yum.





If you are interested in finding out more about Exeter California, go to http://www.exeterchamber.com/




3 comments:

  1. Gail:
    Seeing your pictures of Exeter brought back many, many memories of all of the times we would stroll through the water tower shop hoping to find a treasure or two or for that matter we never did have a limit! I enjoyed looking at the pictures of that quaint little town and shop that seems to always stay the same, which is rare in these days. I'm glad the shop has added some new items to the mix. Glad you found some treasures, too. Thank you for the nostalgic tour. When you crack open those wonderful-looking avocados, you can call me for some chips and dip! Ha!

    Hugs,
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thanks soo much for the field trip...It really looks awesome. Lezlee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a fun day! I love those white ceramic finials! It's funny, Campbell, the town I live in has one of those water towers too and it also has our city name on it! I grew up here so I remember a lot more of those around when I was little. I'm glad they kept some of them around, for history sake.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave a comment about your visit. It is always nice to hear from you. Have a wonderful day.