Saturday, January 23, 2010

Another Road Trip in California - Porterville

Even though sunny California wasn't too sunny, I asked my Mom if she wanted to take a short hour  road trip to a shop in Porterville, California called La Vintage Rue.  Several years ago, I found this shop by referral from another antique dealer.  I purchased one of my favorite armoires there around three years ago.  It is featured in one of my earlier posts on December 21, 2009 "Christmas Home Tour Continued at Gail's".   I would like for you to take a peek at this fun shop, too.

Vintage suitcases give textures and levels to your vignettes and add storage area.  The collection of cameras would work as accessories.


Several antiques mixed with repos.


The green chest would make a great accent piece for a pop of color.


Alot of fun containers.


Display cabinets are great for storage or showing off your collections.

You can never have too much flatware.  The look of the old pieces gives a tablesetting charm.

These green wooden chests are great for storage and such a fun accent.



This tea cart was probably maple originally but looks great painted black.

The rough painted cabinet would be great for storage as well as display.

The robin's egg blue on this shabby table looked original.


I really debated on this display cabinet.  It had a little paint on it which gave it charm.

This white table is so versatile, it could have many uses.

This is a great farm table.  The deer antlers came home with me.

This has a marble cheese base but the dome must be new and it fits perfectly.  It, also, came home with me.

The rough brown finish on this display cabinet caught my eye.  It is made with repurposed wood from old pieces.  I love the sliding doors.  It, also, came home with me.  Actually not that day but a few days later.  My husband and son-in-law were so nice to go back and get it for me.







The display cabinet is now showing off some of my treasures in my master bedroom.


Behind the store register on the wall are old newspaper clippings and window panes.  My Mom said some of the ads were from the forties.

One of the old ads on the wall said "Tell the world you are from California".
  Since I was born and raised in California, I can make that statement.

This church in Porterville was lovely.  I had to show you the steeple.

I always feel bad when I see an abandon church, but these stained glass windows were beautiful.  I could see this as a residence.  It would take work and money but it would be so unique.

It was a great escape and I would say, "My treasure hunt was a success!".

Leave a comment and let me know what was your favorite.  It is always great to hear from you.

4 comments:

  1. I like the tin containers with the enameled numbers and the white table. Great vision on the display case Gail. Isn't it fun to get new pieces after the holidays and switch things up a bit? Thanks for the shopping trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course I like the display cabinet you bought the best...can't wait to see it in person in your bedroom.
    Really, I liked the tea cart (I have passed up a couple lately that would have looked great painted like that one) I think it would make a great bedside table. Also liked anything silver I saw.
    Thanks for the visit to Porterville.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the tour of Porterville. I didn't even know there was an antique shop there. Your pictures were great. This is going to sound really crazy, but my "favorite" picture was the one where Dave and Trent were moving it up the walk into the house. I had to chuckle -- our husbands have moved just about anything into our home. And upstairs, too, to say the least. I think their second job was moving services. We were lucky it was free!
    Your display cabinet turned out so pretty with all of your collections. Enjoy them as you lie in bed and gaze upon it and all the different ways you can display your "goodies."
    Hugs,
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so enjoyed your blog. It was great running into you of all places at Costco. You would think it would have been at an antique store or flea market. Your pictures are so inspiring and your displays exquisite. I am now looking forward to more of them. I love the suitcases that are shown in many of your pictures. I cant' get enough of them. One of my favorite ones is the one I got from you. I will be checking back often.

    Always,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave a comment about your visit. It is always nice to hear from you. Have a wonderful day.