Wednesday, April 28, 2010

On the Road Again - Weekend Shopping Adventure - Part 1

On the road again for a fun weekend of antiquing and shopping with friends.  I told them a good name for us would be the "Girlfriend Gadabouts"  There are seven of us that love the same things, God....  family.... friends.... antiquing.... shopping.... decorating.... I could go on but this post has to be in segments since it is already too long.  We have been planning this trip for months and the few days before we were leaving, the emails and phone calls were made with much anticipation of the excitement and fun we were going to have on this trip.


How appropriate that as we were heading west to an old barn, a rusty old trailer would lead the way.

This adventure was planned around the "Remnants of the Past" vintage show in Nipomo, California. 

 We rented a 12-passenger van so we would have plenty of room for our treasures.  The renting of the van is a whole other story.  The van was suppose to head to Texas but Beverly, our driver, convinced it to go to the barn in California.

We knew we were getting close when we saw the coastal fog hovering over the hills. 


We made it to the "Welcome" gate and we knew we were going to be in for a treat.

The show was in the middle of a citrus orchard and these bouquets lined the pathway.

Did they really think that orange tape was going to hold back a group of treasure hunters?

Anxiously waiting for the orange tape to be removed was left to right: 
Sally, Sandi, Gail, Linda, Beverly, and Ruth.  We missed Cindi being with us.
We did leave at 5:30 a.m. and there was a touch of chill in the air but we were polite and waited to enter.
Once I entered, I guess I got too excited to take many pictures but here are a few to view.



See the garters on the lamp shade.







I just loved these sweet peas.

This veggie display is a cute idea for a buffet or tablescape so you will probably be seeing it again.


In case you can't read the sign it says
"To market, to market on my old blue bike,
 Home again, home again with things that I like"
 
One of  the things I liked was meeting Sue Whitney, founder of Junk Market.  
If you would like to see more from Sue click on Junk Market Style

Sue was gracious to sign a copy of her book "Junk Beautiful" the outdoor edition for me.
I have already started reading it and it has great ideas.

I did purchase the black-faced clock from Sue's Junk Market booth. 

I guess the rusty trailer that lead us to the vintage show must have stuck in my brain because I had to buy these old rusted cans with plants in them.  Look closely at the flattened fork that says US and the rusty scissors that are handy for gardening.  Click here to see more from The Tattered House  I always try to stop by and see the Tattered Girls, Sandy and Erika, when I am in the Sacramento California area.  They are so friendly and put on a great street fair in front of their store. 


If you want to read more about the show click on this link Remnants of the Past
I would appreciate it if you would please let Judy and other blogs I am linked to, know that you read about it on my blog.

It was time to head on south for our weekend adventure.  We look forward to the next show.



7 comments:

  1. I so enjoyed your "Part I " of our fun adventure. Just loved the picture of the old rusty truck. So appropriate!! (It was really a remnant, wasn't it!). I'm glad you got to meet Sue of Junk Market. All of the vendors were so friendly and it made for a wonderful show. It's so fun laughing and eating in the van. We are so blessed with wonderful friendships.
    Hugs,
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gail, that was such a fun trip, I just love being with all of you and we missed Cindi being with us, but next time. By the time we went to the
    Ventura Flea Market the next day and hit two Home Goods and two Decor Stores, in different towns on the way home, we were ready to drop. I can remember about ten years ago... or maybe less, we would close up the stores and would still be wanting to go, go, go. Are we getting old...or should I say older, but I am the oldest remember. I think climbing in and out of that van and hooking up the seatbelts was a challenge in itself. All in all it was a wonderful time and we all managed to bring home some wonderful treasures. I'm rested and ready to go again.

    Love,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gail,
    What a fun trip that was. I love being with all you gals, but we missed Cindi. Next time we'll kidnap her. Two great days of shopping, and I think we shopped until we dropped, a little sooner than we used to, but we all came home with some neat treasures and memories.
    Well, I'm rested and ready to go again on our next adventure and Sally don't forget to bring those chocolate chip cookies...ymm.

    Love,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures Gail. I know you all had a great time together. You all share a special friendship. Looking forward to your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gail,

    Thanks for sharing your adventures of you "Gadabout Girls" what a hoot it must have been. Seeing you all at the Ventura Flea Market on Sunday was an unexpected surprise and pleasure for me. The bond and friendship you all share is a blessing and true treasure. Looking forward to seeing more of your adventure.

    Always,
    Leslie C

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like you really had fun! I enjoyed my visit very much today.
    Many thanks for stopping by and for your thoughts and prayers, I really needed them and appreciated from the bottom of my heart!
    Have a great weekend,
    Monica.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh My goodness Gail,
    It looks like you had a blast!! I would have loved to have been there! I hope you found lots of treasures, it looks like there were a lot to be found.
    Have a great week.
    Sincerely,
    Melinda

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave a comment about your visit. It is always nice to hear from you. Have a wonderful day.