Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Tablescape Thursday Mom's 89th Birthday

I'm featuring another double post for Tablescape Thursday because it seems we celebrate occasions around the table.  I hosted a family lunch for my Mom's 89th birthday last Sunday.  That isn't easy since she now has 33 direct descendants and with spouses it gets around 48.  My Mom still cooks at least three times a week for family members and cooks meals every day for her 91 year old sister.  She comes from a family with five children and a single parent.  Much of her life she lived with relatives and said the men ate first, then the women, and then the children.  She said when she had children they were always going to eat first so my two sisters and I and the rest of the children are very fortunate because she always kept her word.

This is a picture of my Mom and I.  I used my three-tiered milk glass cake stands to serve giant chocolate and white cupcakes so everyone would have their favorite.  The kids were disappointed I didn't put 89 candles on a cake but I chose to use the candles with numbers 8 and 9 instead.

I had to show my Mom and her three great-grandsons (also, my grandsons).  One of Mom's favorite meals is tostadas so we had a buffet with all the makings.  The sugar-free angel food cake was served with strawberries for my Mom and others that are diabetic (actually we all had some).

 I just had to show my Mom's Great Great Granddaughter, Riley, smelling the flowers in the yard.

The tablescape began with this colorful paper napkin.  The bright colored tulips set the mood. 


The other side of the napkin has stripes so I alternated the prints.
My Mom didn't have much growing up but she did remember having the silverplated flatware called "Bird of Paradise".  It was manufactured in 1923 by Community and later in 1935 by Onieda Community .  I always look for this pattern when I am antiquing.  It is hard to capture the image of the two birds with long tail feathers because they are upside down in this photo. 


  My Mom's name is Lucille and my friend, Sally, had given me a book titled "Lucile" so I used the book along with photos of Mom's younger years for the centerpiece along with this brightly colored spring bouquet planted in a green wooden basket.


The plates are "Fiesta",  They just have to be used when having tostadas. 
The bright cheerful colors make you want to celebrate.


Thank you for stopping by to help us celebrate the life of a beautiful woman.
Happy 89th Birthday Mom!


Please leave a comment that you stopped by for a visit.  It is always fun to hear from you.


I am participating in Tablescape Thursday with Susan at Between Naps on the Porch.
Just click on the button below to see many more beautiful tablescapes.