Thursday, July 1, 2010

Combining the Romance of Chess

The first Friday of every month is the blog party "Vintage Black Friday" and every Friday is "Foodie Friday" so I wanted to join the two.  I believe you will find this combination both delectable and inspiring.

I couldn't decide which should be posted first so I chose the way opponents decide in a Chess game.  Holding a white pawn in one hand and a black pawn in the other, my husband chose the black pawn which represented the "Vintage Black Friday" party.  Therefore,  let the "Romance of Chess" begin.


The 1945 chess board was set up on a vintage desk.




The black pieces were placed first upon the vintage 1945 board since they won the draw to be first played.
The feather bouquet in the vintage black metal vase adds romance to the setting.
Adding a touch of black on the vintage clock helps to speed the game along.



This vintage chess set had the original First Edition, June 1945 rules book.
This booklet states, "The development of Chess through the ages presents an interesting and enlightening story.  It is a history that lends dignity and honor to the game."



All the chess pieces were still in the "Chess Men" box.
All the vintage black squares, numbers, and letters add charm and romance to this vignette.



It is interesting to note that the first person to bring Chess to public notice in the United States was Benjamn Franklin, who wrote an essay on "The Morals of Chess."  However, very little Chess was played in the United States prior to about 1825.  From then on, it gradually increased in popularity. 

In fact, this Independence Day weekend, my son, Nate, who lives in Philadelphia, is playing in the Continental Chess Association Chess Tournament:  'World Open 2010'  held at Valley Forge, PA..  He, also, has designed a Chess tournament online for his California relatives young and old.  They love the competition.


"Chess is truly a game that should live forever.  It sharpens the wits and is an endless source of intellectual pleasure for novice and masters alike."

You say, "How does this tie into Foodie Friday?

The first ingredient in this deliciously rich dessert is  
Chessmen Cookies.
When I first had a piece of this yummy dessert, it was so rich and delicious, I decided to make it for a "Lunch in the Country" dessert.  If you would like to go back to that post click here.

I didn't learn until after I had tasted the dessert (I should have known) that it is Paula Deen's 

"Not Yo' Mama's Banana Pudding"

Ingredients:

2   bags Pepperidge Farm Chessmen cookies
6 to 8 bananas, sliced
2 cups milk
1 (5 - ounce) box instant French vanilla pudding
1 (8 - ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 (12-ounce) container frozen whipped topping thawed, or equal amount sweetened whipped cream


These are the ingredients so you know why I said it is so rich and yummy.
You first line the bottom of a 13 by 9 x 2 inch dish with one bag of Chessmen cookies.
Then, layer 6 - 8 sliced bananas.  I used six.


In a bowl, combine the milk and pudding mix and blend well using a handheld electric mixer.


Using another bowl, combine the cream cheese and condensed milk together and mix until smooth.



Fold the whipped topping into the cream cheese mixture. 



Add the cream cheese mixture to the pudding mixture and stir until well blended.



Pour the mixture over the cookies and bananas.



Even the "Mama" couldn't wait for a taste of the banana puddin' before the cookies were placed on top.



Cover with the remaining bag of Chessmen cookies and refrigerate until ready to serve.


This is a great recipe for serving about 12.  Prep time is about 30 minutes and it is easy.

Whether romancing playing the game of Chess or 
 using Chess to romance your decor or
or romancing over a Chess cookie dessert
It all ties in to the Romance of Chess.


WISHING YOU A SAFE AND
HAPPY 4TH OF JULY !!
I will be celebrating for a week with family so watch for posts after that time.

I am joining Vintage Black Friday or click on VBF button on my sidebar or
Foodie Friday click here.




16 comments:

  1. wow, amazing job on those cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun dessert.. thanks for the history and nice to have found your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for stopping by to say hi!!! Your vignette is really lovely!! I played Chess as a girl......and actually loved the game. Now.......I must have a black chess set around here somewhere! (O:(O:

    Xo

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post - and your pudding sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gail,

    Love the chest set and to have a complete set with original box & directions is fantastic. Great job again. We are having guests next Saturday night for dinner and I will try this dessert. I love easy!! Thank you for sharing your creativity.

    Ta Ta For Now,
    Leslie C

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the black pictures you posted. I did a similar post today, so great minds think alike. Thanks for bringing back a past-time favorite, banana pudding. I loved it as a kid. The way you presented it with Chessman cookies must be making Benjamn Franklin smile.

    I'm glad we met through blogging. I'm a new follower!

    Yoli
    http://apronsenorita.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty cute and fabulous with all those chessmen prints. That's creative.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The chess cookies are such a great touch! Your chess set is lovely. I love old games.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never learned to play, but I love your chess set and vignette.
    As for the desert...So So good. Dennis loved it too. I love the Chess cookies you used with it instead of the tradional Vanilla wafers.
    Hope you enjoyed your 4th.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun chess arrangement, especially love the trophy! Hope your son had a successful weekend at the tournament.
    Susanne.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for that yummi banana pudding! And the lovely chess figures. I have been in Edinburgh for a whole month and saw a very interesting exhibition about old ivory chess figures (12th century) found in Lewis - but by Scandinavian origin. Absolutely cute: the Berserker - who bites into his shield!
    From my 4 blogs you might prefer the newly started "Youarewittyandpretty.blogspot.com" Britta

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just LOVE this post. I love playing chess so it immediately caught my eye! Love all the blacks for your black friday post!
    It doesn't surprise me that it was Benjamin Franklin who brought the game here.
    I even found a letter he wrote about transferware! (it's in one of my earlier posts).
    Your recipe looks good to...I'm going to go to the other post for that recipe to.

    Have a great weekend,

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gail it all looks wonderful and your pudding recipe sounds delicious. Yum-O!

    Thank you for your kind visit. You're always welcome anytime.

    Blessings, ~Melissa :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi gail! Yum! That looks delicious and I am going to try it. Love your vintage stuff!!
    xxj

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so happy you shared this one again. The vintage chess set is wonderful, and the banana pudding with the Chess Men cookies is a darling idea. Great post!
    I hope you'll hop on over to the QCI blog (#9) and join me for a cup of tea. ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Gail...

    Welcome, my friend...to Sunday Favorites! It's such a pleasure to have you join in the fun with us! What a great post to revisit...I really enjoyed it! I must admit that I do not know a thing about Chess, but nevertheless, I enjoyed seeing your vintage Chess set! By the way, I love, love, LOVE that gorgeous feather arrangment! It's perfect to go along with that beautiful Chess table! Ohhh...and your Chessman cookie/banana pudding looks absolutely divine! In fact, you made me sooo hungry! Hehe! Thank you so much for sharing the recipe with us...this has been such a treat! I do hope you'll join us for Sunday Favorites again, my friend!

    Warmest autumn wishes,
    Chari @Happy To Design

    PS...I also wanted to thank you for your sweet note that you left on my post!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave a comment about your visit. It is always nice to hear from you. Have a wonderful day.