Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Gail's "Rachel Ashwell" Inspired Girls Night In



My girlfriend gadabouts and I marked our calendars for the Remnants of the Past  antique show in Nipomo California at the beginning of October.  Beverly and Sandi have their birthdays then so we decided to head over for our anxiously anticipated adventure.  Sally, Linda and Ruth went too.  Cindi couldn't go but she was there in spirit since we went in her van.


We did have to get up before dawn to make it when the show first opened. We didn't want miss a minute of the fun.



There is a vendor at the show that produces these pumpkins with sayings on them.  So unique.


One of the highlights of the show was a book signing event with Rachel Ashwell of Shabby Chic.



Sally was having Rachel sign her book



Rachel shared her newest book and told of the journey she was on while publishing "Shabby Chic Interiors".  She was very personal and we felt like we had known her for years.  I guess we really have known about her for years because I mentioned that I had video recorded all her Shabby Chic shows on Style Network many years ago.   What happened to all our great decorating shows we use to watch?  Anyway, my friends said "We need to get together to  watch some of those shows so if you furnish the entertainment ...  we will bring the food" so that is what inspired our get-together last Monday night at my house.


I have a painted black dining table so I knew that was not going to work for a "Shabby Chic" tablescape so I layered a solid white tablecloth then a cream lace tablecloth (for the petticoat) and then I used a pink crocheted tablecloth that I purchased from The Tattered House at the Remnants of the Past show.


Since I have all of Rachel's books, they needed to be the base for the design on the table.


Since we would be seated on both sides of the table, I turned every other book to the spine side.


I chose a silver charger with a pale green dinner plate and vintage Homer Laughlin "Pink Rose" bowls.
This grape patterned silverware is so beautifully detailed, I wanted to include it.

 
The tablescape has items that remind me of the "Shabby Chic" look.  For instance, the vintage floral vase with the porcelain flowers.  The sheer pale pink gloves with just a touch of rhinestones and the vintage pale pink necklace with a beautiful clasp and pendant make a beautiful backdrop for the pink high heel salt and pepper shakers.


I had to include the pink crystal stemware and the vintage pink cloth napkins with the green crystal napkin rings.  The vintage salt and pepper shakers with the hand painted roses just add 
another element of Shabby Chic.

Since it was a "Girl's Night In", I had to include my antique beaded pink drawstring purse and the antique comb set painted by Christie Repasy. 
Just a sneak preview....I will be featuring a post on Christie in the near future. 


The hand painted pink rose teapot, creamer and sugar had to be included.

  
There are so many details that I think I will just give you an overall look.
This is my version of Shabby Chic because I don't think Rachael would have used so many items but sometimes for me.....more is better.


As you can see in the background, my house is decorated in Fall colors so it was a little strange adding all this pink and pastel colors.... I have done a Fall table in soft pastels so maybe that can be another post.


The three rose covered paper lanterns hung from the chandelier.


Several years ago, my friend Beverly at My Sew Sweet Studio made these slipcovers for my dining room chairs out of  my vintage chenille bedspreads.




My vintage pastel chenille covered dress form and crinoline slip had to be dressed for dinner.


Since we were having buffet style, I decorated my counter for the food.


In Rachel's style, I mismatched the tea cups and saucers.


I had to use my Rachel matches I purchased at her Shabby Chic store in 
Santa Monica California many years ago to light the rose printed candle.
Since the matches have a pink tip, I only use them for special occasions.



I don't know if you noticed but I did find some fresh roses from my daughter's yard to replace the silk flowers. .

The guests (Beverly, Linda, Me (Gail), Ruth, Sally, Sandi) arrived so let the video and feasting begin.



You never know what or who will inspire your next decorating project.

Thank you Rachel
for your inspirational talk and sharing from your heart.


Just a quick reminder that my One-Year Blogaversary Giveaway ends at midnight on Sunday, October 31st.  
If you would like to be included click here to enter.



I will be linking to the following blog parties:

Tablescape Thursday at Between Naps on the Porch


Simple Pleasures Thursday at  A Little of This and That

Vintage Thingies Thursday at The Coloradolady

Time Travel Thursday at Brambleberry Cottage

Vintage Inspiration Friday at Common Ground

Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home


39 comments:

  1. I love pink! thank you for sharing your trip with the girls. Your table looks so inviting. Ciao Rita mammabellarte

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a wonderful evening getting together again! Loved all the "Rachel Ashwell"-inspired beauty surrounding us. You have such a fabulous collection and it was displayed so beautifully. Thank you for being the gracious hostess and it was so nice to relax, talk and eat. I'm so thankful I can get together with such special friends!
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, what a grand table. Did anyone want to eat, or did they just want to gaze! You did a wonderful job Gail - thanks so much for sharing your Girls Night In.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a wonderful way to spend a day! Beautiful pics. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely beautiful decorating. How lovely to have a special get-together like you did.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much pink and fluffy and sparkly beauty to see--I think I could have looked at your table for hours and been enthralled. Great job(or great fun, right?)!
    Looks like y'all had a sweet, girly time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun day this had to have been. I enjoyed even if it was just through your lens.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have always loved Rachel Ashwell and have 4 of her books. Although my home is decorated more arts and crafts furniture, metals and earth tones. I love decorating with vintage items. I love the look of your blog,first time I've been here. Thanks for stopping by my corner of oz. Your decorating for your event was absolutely gorgeous.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  9. My fave setting so far. Lovely, indeed, Lady.

    My style, I guess?

    Happy TS...

    Greetings from chilly Stockholm,
    /chie

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a PERFECT girly table. I love all your detail, I'm sure you and your friends had the most "in the pink" day ever. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved that show and wish I had videos of it to watch. What a great idea for a wonderful get together with friends. I'm sure it was absolutely wonderful. Best wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, what a beautiful tablescape.
    Stopping by from Simple Pleasure. Thanks for sharing. Loved it.

    Hugs,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gail, there's nothing more pleasurable than having a girl's night out. I don't know how you made this work for so many memes, but kudos to you, my friend. It's a great Simple Pleasures post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh WOW what a gorgeous display..eye candy heaven! i simply LOVE your chenille chair covers and as for your chenille festooned mannequin, omgosh she IS simply adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, I'm so impressed with the beautiful dining experience you provided. It was a feast for my eyes during my visit here today. I just love the foo-foo pink very chic indeed. How many dress forms do you have? All of them are so unique and a real beauty. The new hair style is very attractive, you look so chic and what a beautiful pink sweater you were wearing. Just proves pink is your color. You gadabouts must be having a hoot!!

    TTFN, Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  16. the pictures are so beautiful I love the look

    ReplyDelete
  17. This post is such a treat for me! I have been gone most of the day so I am just getting to both Simple Pleasures posts and tablescapes.

    I get TWO in one here! I think your table is absolutely LOVELY and so perfectly "shabby chic". I love it.

    Reading the whole post, from the girls time out together to the the girls night IN together was one big simple pleasure. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful setting!! I love, love the china!! Thanks so much for sharing! Happy VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  19. If you could see me, I would be pouting. I missed a wonderful party...I can just tell....I love all your touches...just remember me the next time ok??

    ReplyDelete
  20. How gorgeous. Those paper lanterns are the perfect touch.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your table is just perfect for a ladies luncheon! How neat that you got a photo with Rachel Ashwell!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is a splendid pink table. So glad you got to meet HER. ♥olive

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a fun time! I miss girlie gatherings. I work so much now, think I need to plan one. Thank you for sharing, and Rachel still looks amazing. tami from the high street cottage

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is really beautiful! I enjoyed seeing it all! Thanks for sharing!

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a special evening you made for all of us Gail. You are the "hostess with the mostess" for us all. It was fun reminising about our meeting with Rachel at Remnants and watching her decorating show was fun. Your table settings were wonderful and every detail said "Shabby Chic". I a so blessed to have such great friends. A perfect "Girls Night In"
    Thanks you.

    ReplyDelete
  26. If you would ever like new recipes or would like to be featured than please come on over to our blog and please check us out! We also have a give away going on right now and a apron going up tomorrow!! yah. thanks for letting me stop by your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love the way you put so much thought into this table setting. I wish I was there too - I bet it was LOADS OF fun!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Gail, I absolutely love your table setting it's just gorgeous... I love the soft colors you added together, and of course the pinks and beautiful roses! Another thing I loved how you mix the different cups and saucers together! Now on another note, how exciting to get to meet Rachael Ashwell, I've seen her before at the big Warrington/ Roundtop sale, here in Texas but I didn't get my nerve up enough to talk to her! Glad you and your friends had such a great time!!! I wanted to thank you for visiting and for your sweet comment, I loved reading it, also thanks for joining as a follower, I will join here too as soon as I'm able, for some reason I can't seem to join anyone are add anyone to my blog list, I've got to have this fixed soon, it's really bugging me! I'm off to look around your beautiful blog some more!!! Blessings~~ Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am so envious! I too am a Rachel Ashwell fan and had the pleasure of visiting her Santa Monica store once several years ago! You put together a dinner for your friends that Rachel would be proud of for sure! You've inspired me to host a fun shabby chic dinner for my friends! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi. Visiting from Vintage Inspiration. What a lovely shabby table! Love it. I am your newest follower.
    ~ Julie

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a beautiful Shabby Chic inspired tablecape!! Just stunning!!

    And lucky you to have attended the book signing by Rachel!! How exciting!!


    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is absolutely LOVELY! How fun to have your girls all together for such fun adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm fairly certain that Rachel would have loved every single element of your shabby chic tablescape....I know that I sure did! Did you get the pink goblets at Pier One many years ago? I thought that I recognized them as some that I also have. Thank you for sharing your gorgeous design. I know that it must have been a delightful party. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a fabulous Shabby Chic celebration...you did a wonderful job of decorating in theme and it looks like it was a ton of fun.

    ~jermaine

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great pics of a great day! Another RA Fan here!
    I gotta get that new book!
    Visited from Debra's VIF!
    Happy Halloween!
    Tammy :-)
    JUNK WILD

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a fun time you all had. The table is adorable and so elegant....Christine

    ReplyDelete
  37. My, oh my, how I would love to be invited to one of your girls' gatherings, Gail! If I only lived closer...

    I love Rachel Ashwell's style, too! So many people thought I was crazy because I didn't ask her for her autograph this past summer, when she made a purchase in my booth at Brimfield. I figured she gets bombarded all the time with such requests, so I didn't ask.

    You can see the table she bought from me here:
    http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/2010/08/be-it-ever-so-humble.html

    Thanks for linking to my party. I look forward to seeing what you link up each week.

    Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
    http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi There~ Just saw your comment on my blog and you mentioned ROTP- yes that is the show I went to!! I did a post about it if you click on RACHEL ASHWELL in the little post thingy on the side bar. It was an amazing experience for me too!! Love your Shabby Chic inspired party! So cute!! Thanks for stopping by today! Hope you come by again soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh I wish I could have been there-to meet Rachel and visit with all the girls and see so many pretties-what a fun time!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave a comment about your visit. It is always nice to hear from you. Have a wonderful day.