Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Tablescape Thursday Mom's 89th Birthday

I'm featuring another double post for Tablescape Thursday because it seems we celebrate occasions around the table.  I hosted a family lunch for my Mom's 89th birthday last Sunday.  That isn't easy since she now has 33 direct descendants and with spouses it gets around 48.  My Mom still cooks at least three times a week for family members and cooks meals every day for her 91 year old sister.  She comes from a family with five children and a single parent.  Much of her life she lived with relatives and said the men ate first, then the women, and then the children.  She said when she had children they were always going to eat first so my two sisters and I and the rest of the children are very fortunate because she always kept her word.

This is a picture of my Mom and I.  I used my three-tiered milk glass cake stands to serve giant chocolate and white cupcakes so everyone would have their favorite.  The kids were disappointed I didn't put 89 candles on a cake but I chose to use the candles with numbers 8 and 9 instead.

I had to show my Mom and her three great-grandsons (also, my grandsons).  One of Mom's favorite meals is tostadas so we had a buffet with all the makings.  The sugar-free angel food cake was served with strawberries for my Mom and others that are diabetic (actually we all had some).

 I just had to show my Mom's Great Great Granddaughter, Riley, smelling the flowers in the yard.

The tablescape began with this colorful paper napkin.  The bright colored tulips set the mood. 


The other side of the napkin has stripes so I alternated the prints.
My Mom didn't have much growing up but she did remember having the silverplated flatware called "Bird of Paradise".  It was manufactured in 1923 by Community and later in 1935 by Onieda Community .  I always look for this pattern when I am antiquing.  It is hard to capture the image of the two birds with long tail feathers because they are upside down in this photo. 


  My Mom's name is Lucille and my friend, Sally, had given me a book titled "Lucile" so I used the book along with photos of Mom's younger years for the centerpiece along with this brightly colored spring bouquet planted in a green wooden basket.


The plates are "Fiesta",  They just have to be used when having tostadas. 
The bright cheerful colors make you want to celebrate.


Thank you for stopping by to help us celebrate the life of a beautiful woman.
Happy 89th Birthday Mom!


Please leave a comment that you stopped by for a visit.  It is always fun to hear from you.


I am participating in Tablescape Thursday with Susan at Between Naps on the Porch.
Just click on the button below to see many more beautiful tablescapes.







15 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to your Mom, Gail. You two are both beautiful women as is your tablescape. Loved the bright colors and Spring flowers. Ummm...tostadas...one of my favorites too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very pretty table and happy birthday to your mother!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday to your mom! 89 is a big accomplishment! Here is to the next 30 years!

    xoxo Bardot in Blue

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gail...your Mom is lovely and a very youthful looking 89. Your celebration photos are wonderful. What a lovely party!

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic! Truly your Mom looks lovely.
    God bless,
    d

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are very fortunate and blessed to be able to still celebrate your Mom's Birthday and it all looks wonderful. I'm sure she was filled with pride!! Judi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday to you mother! Love the Fiesta plates.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful lady your mother is. That was a great way to celebrate her birthday. Colors and settings lovely. Everything looked just delightful.

    Always, Leslie C.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Many, many happy wishes to your mom! She is one of the strongest 89-year olds I have ever seen. She just amazes me! She has always had a special place in my heart. Just to see her loving, caring influence on each of her family members is so inspiring. What a heritage she has blessed her loved ones with. And what a special family she has! I just hope I can be as active as she is at that age! Thanks so much for sharing her.
    Loved your tablescape. So springy!
    Hugs,
    Sally
    P.S. I was hoping that book would come in handy one day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your picture of your mama and you melted my heart. And then, you provided all the sweet comments about your family. And then, there was MY Fiestaware!! :-) Don't you love it--for ANY occasion??? I have a cabinet full and I WANT MORE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. No way does your mom look 89!!! Unbelievable! You are so blessed to have such a beautiful and active mom! Your tablescape was lovely, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How lucky are you to have such young genes in your family! You and your mother look fabulous!! I hope you enjoyed the day with your mom and other members of the family. What a large crowd, how fun....how much work! :)
    I'm sure it was well worth it, though. Thanks for sharing such a special day with us. God bless your mom with more happy and healthy birthdays.
    Have a wonderful day!
    XoXo
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday to your Mom! What a nice celebration. I love all your bright colors.
    Win Rachael Ray bake ware at my blog.
    It would go great with your table with a bean dip in it.:)
    Thanks!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks like a wonderful day! Happy birthday to your lovely mom!
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just found your comments regarding my husband's ordination party. What kindness! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to leave a comment about your visit. It is always nice to hear from you. Have a wonderful day.